AHS is currently processing final program evaluation reports and financial reconciliation reports from grantees.
In March 2022, Governor Scott authorized $60 million for certain health care and social service employers to provide premium pay for workforce recruitment and retention. These funds have been made available to the State of Vermont through the Federal Coronavirus State Fiscal Recovery Fund and Section 9817 of the American Rescue Plan Act. The Agency of Human Services (AHS) is administering this program.
See the 140 health care and social service employers awarded premium pay grants during the first round of funding in 2022, and the 41 that received grants during the second round in spring 2023.
Note: Premium Pay for Independent Direct Support Providers is being administered by ARIS Solutions.
GRANT YEAR-END REPORTING FOR ALL GRANTEES (both round 1 and 2)
Close-out report submissions should include three components:
1- Evaluation reporting for April-June 2023 - All providers except DA/SSAs can choose either Apr-June 2023 12-week option for non-DA/SSA OR Apr-June 2023 full quarter option for non-DA/SSA. DA/SSAs can choose either Apr-June 2023 12-week option for DA/SSA OR Apr-June 2023 full quarter option for DA/SSA.
2- Any outstanding financial reporting - No required format, see below for minimum requirements
3- Reporting Certifications: To be signed and submitted along with any financial reporting.
ROUND 2 GRANT APPLICATION
A second round of funding was made available to applicants in early 2023, with three additional employer types invited to apply until February 27. These employer types are 1) primary care practices, 2) dentists' offices or dental facilities, 3) therapeutic community residences.
Employers from the first ten eligible provider groups were allowed to apply for the second round of funding if they did not receive a grant during the first round. For the second round, employers must have a demonstrated need for a grant.
Applicant materials included:
- Program Guidance - A manual with information on the program, Eligible Employers, and more (updated June 8)
- FAQ for Applicants and Awardees - A resource for organizations that applied for Premium Pay program grants (updated February 13)
- Premium Pay Application Certifications - Certifications that applicants make at time of application
Applicants were encouraged to start by taking two steps:
1) Register at sam.gov (if your organization doesn't already have an account) and ensure the account is set to public. Then make note of your unique entity identifier. You will need to enter it with your premium pay application.
2) Fill out the “FTE Summary Spreadsheet.” Applicants can download and complete one of two options:
(please note that a small number of applicants have reported that their version of excel does not properly display "employee type" options in Steps 2 and 3 of the spreadsheet links above; if this is the case, applicants can download a more basic version of the spreadsheet here - 12-week or full-quarter)
They were then able to register for an account and log-in to complete their application.
- Round 2 applicants also had access to several webinars, including:
- June 8, 2023 - Webinar on Final Reporting - Slideshow (pdf) - Video (link to YouTube)
- May 4, 2023 - Webinar for Office Hours/Q+A - Video (link to YouTube)
- April 20, 2023 - Webinar on Eligible Employees - Slideshow (pdf) - Video (link to YouTube)
- February 23, 2023 - Webinar for Office Hours/Q+A
- February 16, 2023 - Webinar for Office Hours/Q+A
- February 9, 2023 - Webinar on Online Application - Slideshow (pdf) - Video (link to YouTube)
- February 2, 2023- Webinar on Round 2 Kickoff and FTE Summary - Slideshow (pdf) - Video (link to YouTube)
ROUND 1 REPORTING INSTRUCTIONS
Evaluation reporting will help policymakers better understand the impact of the program and can inform future policies and programs.
- Grantees choose whether it's easier for them to report on either the entire quarter (e.g. the entire Oct-Dec quarter) or any 12-week period in the quarter (e.g. 10.2.2022-12.24.2022 or 10.9.2022-12.31.2022) and download, then fill out, the appropriate form.
- All grantees (both lump sum and quarterly recipients) submit at mid-point and end of program; once in early January 2023 (no later than January 16) and once in early July 2023 (no later than July 15)
- Awardees who elected to receive their grant as a single lump sum payment should submit the completed file by email to AHS.WorkforceGrant at Vermont dot gov
- Awardees who elected to receive quarterly payments should submit the completed file along with financial reconciliation reports through the grant portal
Financial reporting ensures program integrity. The cadence depends on whether grantees elected to receive a lump sum or quarterly grant.
- All grantees - You are now able to log in to your account and submit: 1) documentation of incurred eligible expenses, 2) signed Reporting Certifications.
- Before submitting your financial reporting, please make sure you have:
- Documentation of incurred eligible expenses: you may choose any format that meets the minimum requirements below.
- A signed and completed certifications document using this form: Premium Pay Reporting Certifications
- At a minimum, we expect the uploaded financial reports to include:
- Names of employees or unique identifiers for each employee who received premium pay (Note: If you have more than one employee with the same name, please make sure you include additional unique identifiers for those individuals, such as employee number or birthdate)
- Date(s) each employee was paid
- How much each employee was paid
- Grand total of how much premium pay was disbursed
- Ideally, the reports will also include:
- Subtotals of how much was paid to each employee
- Subtotals of how much was paid on each date
- Including all the information above in an easy-to-understand format will enable state staff to more quickly review and approve your documentation and issue your next payment.
- Before submitting your financial reporting, please make sure you have:
- Lump sum recipients - Spend grant funds within 90 days of grant payment date; submit financial report no later than 14 days after 90-day period.
- Quarterly recipients - Submit financial reports within two weeks of end of quarter (e.g. report on grant funds expended from October 1 through December 31 by January 16)
- Reports must be received by AHS to calculate and distribute the next quarterly payment.
- Failure to submit quarterly report on time may result in grantees not receiving the next quarterly payment until after the next quarterly reporting cycle.
- See September webinar slide deck or video (links in "Additional Support" below) for more information.
- Program Guidance - A manual with information on the program, Eligible Employers, and more
- FAQ for Applicants and Awardees - A resource for organizations that applied for Premium Pay program grants
- FAQ on Impact of Premium Pay on Eligibility for Public Benefits - A resource for employees who are potential recipients of premium pay
- Premium Pay Application Certifications - Certifications that applicants made at time of application
- Premium Pay Reporting Certifications - Form to be signed and uploaded with each submission of financial reporting
- Round 1 Town Hall Webinars
- May 12, 2022 - Town Hall with instructions on filling out Summary Report of FTEs - Slideshow (pdf) - Video (link to YouTube)
- May 19, 2022 - Town Hall to review tips for filling out application and FAQs - Slideshow (pdf) - Video (link to YouTube)
- May 26, 2022 - Office Hours / Question and Answer Session
- June 27, 2022 - Webinar for awardees to discuss Eligible Employees, Premium Pay, and Eligible Expenditures - Slideshow (pdf) - Video (link to YouTube)
- July 21, 2022 - Office Hours / Question and Answer Session - Video (link to YouTube)
- September 19, 2022 - Webinar on grant reporting - Slideshow (pdf) - Video (link to YouTube)
- October 6, 2022 - Office Hours / Question and Answer Session was held
- December 13, 2022 - Webinar on evaluation reporting - Slideshow (pdf)
- January 5, 2023 - Office Hours / Question and Answer Session - Video (link to YouTube)
Grantees: please add AHS.WorkforceGrant at Vermont dot gov to your contact list to ensure grant emails don't go to your junk email box. You can also login to your application/grant account.
Can't find answers to your question in the materials above?
Submit an inquiry through the program’s Question Submission Form.