You are at: Home Help for Vermonters AHS Emergency Programs

Document Actions

AHS Emergency Programs

Up one level
Adult Protective Services
If you suspect that an older person or a person with a disability is being abused, neglected, or exploited, or you feel that you have been, you should report your concerns to the Vermont Adult Protective Services Program. This program investigates allegations of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of vulnerable adults. Call 1-800-564-1612
Community Services
Five Community Action Agencies provide direct services to Vermonters with lower incomes, including emergency food shelves, emergency housing assistance, utility assistance, free tax preparation, help applying for benefits, job counseling, health and nutrition education, housing placement and retention, advocacy, and other assistance.
Developmental Disability Services Crisis Contact Information
Developmental Disability Crisis Services helps people who may be in need of emergency supports.
Domestic Violence
Specialized unit that assists staff and communities around safety issues for domestic violence and child abuse.
Emergency / General Assistance
The Emergency / General Assistance Program helps individuals and families with their emergency basic needs, including housing (e.g., back rent, temporary housing, security deposit), utilities, food, and burial costs.
Emergency Mental Health Services
Emergency Mental Health Services helps people who may be in need of emergency mental health care. Call (802) 652-2000
Fuel Assistance (Crisis)
Crisis Fuel Assistance helps Vermonters who experience a crisis during the winter months. For example, they might have a shut-off notice from their electric company, be out of fuel, or be very close to running out of fuel and have no money to buy more.
A guardian is a person with the legal responsibility to protect the well-being and rights of another. A guardian also has authority to make certain legal decisions for the person.
HIV+ Early Intervention Program
This program can help by paying for your initial doctor's visits and for medical tests that will give you a baseline of information about your current health. Any doctor in Vermont can charge the program for costs related to these tests, so you will not be faced with large medical bills while also deciding what actions to take in making treatment choices. Call -800-882-2437
Housing and Homeless Assistance
We offer intervention to help prevent eviction and to assist homeless individuals and families in finding permanent housing. Services include tenant education and counseling, tenant/landlord advocacy, promotion of the need for affordable and/or emergency housing, and information about possible home ownership opportunities.
Reporting Child Abuse
Certain people are required by Vermont law to report suspected cases of child abuse and neglect. These mandated reporters are legally required to report their suspicions to their local Family Services District Office—within 24 hours. In addition, any other person who has reason to believe that a child may have been abused or neglected may make a report to the Family Services Division of DCF.